In Bangladesh, a medical school is known as a medical college. Allopathic and Alternative Medicine related medical education at the graduate level is provided by medical colleges. The colleges are under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), and are affiliated with a university on the respective region. They however have to be recognized after meeting set criteria by a central regulatory authority called Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC). In 1986, all the medical colleges were established by the government. Sice then, several private medical colleges have been set up. There are total 89 recognized medical colleges in Bangladesh, 29 of which are public and 54 private. Apart from these, there are six medical colleges which are run by the Bangladesh Armed Forces and are under the Ministry of Defense.
All the medical colleges award the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS). The Doctor of Medicine (MD) OF Master of Surgery (MS) is awarded as a postgraduate research degree in selected medical colleges and universities, following the medical tradition of Commonwealth countries. As per the declaration of overseas registration of the General Medical Council, the awarded MBBS degree from some of the institutions is eligible to apply for registration in the United Kingdom.
Reasons to choose MBBS/BDS in Bangladesh
- Curriculum if global standard
- Recognized by all councils including NMC, BMDC and MCI
- WHO enlisted
- Affordable cost and flexible payment system- ( Fees can be Paid in installments)
- Scholarships are available for meritorious students
- Qualified and experienced teaching faculty
- Friendly environment with food & culture similar to Nepal, India & Sri Lanka
- Intern Doctors get salary per month from majority of colleges
- Colleges have own hospitals with good patient flow
- Short travel distance from Nepal, India & Sri Lanka
- Remarkable pass rate in licensing Examinations conducted by different medical councils.